Thursday, 19 March 2015
My Predictions for 2015 (or maybe 2016...)
So... I've written this a few times.... it started with some tech, then morphed into offerings and then i finally realised that the real innovation is not going to be with either of those - it is the mindset changes that need to happen within an orginisation to enable innovate technologies, approches and service offerings to make their entrance into the enterprise technology space
What do i mean by this - well you only need to look at various tech terms / buzzwords (and other various phrases that appear in your daily offering of bullshit bingo) that appear to realise core innovation is driven by organiastional change (virtualisation (and oldie but people bang on about it), cloud, IaaS, SaaS, PaaS etc... all of these are driven by people and not tech.
So back to my prediction list - here is the list of moments of realisation that will happen and real enablers that will make technology offerings / service offerings more real in the enterprise
- IaaS offerings that offer nothing more than tin and string but rely on the consuming orginisation to still engineer OS, Infra App etc is just complicated if not more so - due to ownership issues
- The hero culture is dead - when stuff breaks the hero that comes to the rescue is a great thing, but it sould never have broken in the first place
- Technology functions will finally realise that technology is not the core business function of their enterprise, but business is. The business will also realise this also...
- The culture of "we can do technology better than the technology houses" will finally be busted and we might start employing the "vendors that can" more readily
- Security will finally realise that there are better ways of answering technology policies and stop being so dictatorial with the "we have always secured it this way" approaches - there are other answers
- The general employee base within the technology part of the organisation will finally realise it is a service provider to the business - and there will be other services providers making an entrance. They will finally have to accept that an organisation change is inevitable AND they will be in competition with external service providers
- We might actually get to an agreement on what DevOps really means and stop chucking it into every conversation and using it as if it will be the second coming
i will continue to add to this list - please feel free to provide feedback
Ciao - and heres to an eye opening 2015 and 16